A year ago, I sent out this recipe exchange email that Kellie & RJ started:
which I think is a brilliant idea! Anyway, one of the recipes I got was this vongole one from Melsteph. And finally, after a year, I tried it out with Yu Wen!!! Yu Wen says it was simple and homey and she is currently polishing off all the gravy, which is probably testament to how good it is. Without further ado, I present to you Melsteph’s vongole (with step by step pictures!!)!!
MELSTEPH’S VONGOLE (serves 2)
You will need:
500g of clams
pasta for two (not too much because if you have more, there’s less gravy to go around)
garlic (A LOT)
1. To prepare the clams, soak them for about an hour in salt water. (We did 1.5h) This is to remove the sand that might be caught in the clams. Also, wash them after that.
2. Pour boiling hot water over the clams and let them stand for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, boil your pasta. I like to add a bit of chicken stock to it to give it some jazz. (Yu Wen says, add dashi for umami)
3. While the pasta is boiling, mince garlic & cut the coriander. MULTITASKING FTW.
4. After pasta has finished boiling, drain & set aside. Remove clams from the clam water, KEEP THE CLAM JUICE (V IMPT)
5. Stir fry garlic in olive oil until fragrant. Throw in clams. Cook it till some of them open and are evenly coated with garlic.
6. Add chicken stock (as much as you want) followed by clam juice & wine. Wait till the smell of the alcohol evaporates, which means simmer for a few minutes!!
7. Thicken with cornstarch if it’s too thin for you. (We mixed cornflour with clam juice)
8. Remove from heat. Stir in pasta and some butter. Top with coriander, add parmesan if you want. SERVE IMMEDIATELY. Drink the leftover white wine!!!!